Monday, April 13, 2009

Master Knittery Begins

Something took over me this afternoon and before I knew it I was on the Knitting Guild Association website purchasing a one-year membership and the instructions for their Master Hand Knitting Program. I should get my Master Level 1 kit in the mail soon. Ever since I came across the knitty.com article about a knitter having completed the three levels (see http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/FEATframing.html), I've been intrigued.

I'm a little scared about the other two levels. I've never knit argyle socks or cared to try Fair Isle knitting. The very thought of an Aran or or Fair Isle sweater sounds more like punishment, than fun but I guess that would all depend on the pattern. I don't think I'll be at the Level 3 stage for quite some time. This will soon be my homework:
  • 16 knitted samples: three swatches of ribbing and basic stitches and gauge, mirrored increases and decreases, yarnovers, cables and color change.
  • 17 questions to research and answer.
  • One hat.
  • Two-page report on blocking and care of knits.
Can I become a master knitter and go to school once a week?

No comments: