Thursday, March 12, 2009

New Less Frustrating Shawl Pattern

It's true that I have a diminishing attention span and I have mounting proof of it. At this moment in time, I have at least a half dozen UFO (unfinished objects) laying about my home:
  • Berroco Brea Bag
  • Stitch 'n Bitch Henry Rollins Doll
  • Rowan Ribbon Twist Honey Sweater
  • One Skein Petal Bib
  • Berroco Astrid Shawl
  • AlterKnits Felt Circular Coin Purse
With all of these items still needing much more time and devotion to complete them, I cast on a new project and began the Swallowtail Shawl. This lovely pattern can be found in Interweave Knits Fall 2006 issue. What is wrong with me that I can't keep my mind on any one thing. I think I enjoy the process of knitting but hate to have to do seams. Each item, but the bib, calls for either seaming or sewing of some fashion. The issue with the bib is that I am not familiar and cannot yet understand how you knit an icord onto live stitches. I imagine this will be sitting until the summer when it comes to me in a dream.

I think as part of my spring cleaning (in perhaps May), I should really hunker down and finish these items so that I might enjoy them or at least give them away so that others might.

But back to the shawl. It's turning out quite lovely. I'm knitting with Blue Heron Silk Rayon Twist on size 8 needles. It's not a quick knit but I still find the pattern visually appealing and the pattern repeating every six rows helps to keep ones attention span. I've been knitting the same pattern repeat for over 70 rows and still have a few left. This will be the first project I've ever done that calls for knupps. They sound like a royal pain in the arse. The thought of purling five stitches is something that can't be dwelled on so I'll just have to tackle them as they come up in the pattern. I hope it doens't cause too much pain on my wrists. I found knitting the hat from two posts ago very painful on my wrists.

Anyhoo, when I get far enough along, I'll drop picture.

No comments: