Saturday, August 8, 2009

Knitting Mags Fall 2009

Guess what arrived last week? Fall 2009 Knitting Magazines - Interweave Knits, Vogue Knitting and Cast-On Fall. My subscriptions are coming up for renewal and I think I’m going to have to break down after seeing these issues.

This issue of Interweave Knits easily rivals that of 2008. The majority of the patterns in both issues are classic in their composition. I like to think that many of them would be as wearable 10 years from now as they are today. There are few patterns in here that I would not consider making and the one’s I have in mind for the future are:


-Farmer's Market Cardigan
-Nordique Swing
-Double Knit Hat (Bird on a Wire)

















This issue of Vogue Knitting featured an article on going seamless. It offers a quick synopsis on converting flat knitted pieces to knitting in the round. It couldn't have come at a better time for me. I have a number of queued knitting projects that I've been putting off because they would require seaming. I still have a sweater from September sitting in a box waiting to be seamed. Hell, I'm not one for weaving in ends either. I always find reasons to put off the finishing require of most knitting items.

As a member of the The Knitters Guild Association, I now receive Cast-On (no subscription necessary). In the last two issues, I have realized I am not really the audience for this magazine. I might marvel at the complex knitting it takes to knit an intarsia sweater with various pattern motifs but I will never attempt to make such a garment. I honestly find them to be a bit busy and unappealing.


No comments: